Photobucket

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Super Nanny

I was asked tonight how I landed my job as Super Nanny. What? Come on, I think I have earned the title, no?  I thought it would be a nice story to share and document because this particular job has provided me flexibility over the last two years needed to make my relationship work. Reflecting now on this particular string of events I see so clearly God's provision.


I had finished my internship in September of 2009. I packed my belongings for the fifth move within four months and headed home. Home home, with Mom and Dad. Scary. I had fallen in love. He was moving back to his sweet home in Alabama. Typically summer love does not last. This was not summer love. It was something more. It was something unexplainable. It truly was a match made in heaven.


September through October was used to relax and take some free time for myself after graduation and internships had ended. We spent this time traveling back and forth visiting one another. I had intentions of finding a job.  I had in mind one that would not be permanent and would allow me to take time to travel to see him.  If I remember correctly I had never actually put in one single job application in my few months of unemployment. I did not have a plan.


It was random. Both times. I didn't seek this job. I never filled out an application. I was not required to take a drug test or even go through training. I did not have to beat out other candidates. I didn't have a nerve wrecking interview. It went like this. My family and I were in her store looking at the Christmas displays over Thanksgiving weekend. We had just finished discussing that I had graduated and moved back home and seeking some form of employment.  And then she said this, "Do you want to be my nanny." "Yeah, sure." I casually replied. "Okay, I'll call you Monday." End of conversation. I did not think I would get a call. Monday my phone rang and we set up a time to meet. I had no idea what I was in for.


No joke. This is exactly how I landed my first job out of college. Are you jealous? I tell everyone its easy. I am so unbelievably thankful I was plan less. This job has been way better than anything I would have picked for myself.


I can't begin to describe the things I have learned about myself. I have been exposed to seeing them achieve success at trying new things. I have dealt with the challenges of tantrums, dirty diapers, attitudes, and the concept of sharing. They have made me laugh and maybe cry. I have watched these two kids go through so many stages and phases and it has been awesome. You can see some more of this here. I've enjoyed sharing my craftiness to help celebrate their birthdays too. I love love love entertaining them and making them giggle with funny accents. Maybe someday you will get an audio clip. My British accent is getting pretty good if I do say so myself.


I wish when this job began I would have written letters weekly or monthly to the kids about the crazy stuff they said or did. Like the time I got projectile vomited on or maybe the time she painted herself a red beard when I was not watching. I know over the next few months I will write them both letters and I hope to share them with you when the time comes. I have received the best training any future mom can get. God willing, I hope to some day have my own children to love. I know that this isn't the typical first job out of college but it has been perfect for me and I have cherished each day with them. 


The reason I am writing about this is because I know this fall I will be heading south and therefore unemployed. I hope and pray that another opportunity will be laid before me. Based on the past and my faith in God's plan I know he will provide. Until then, I will enjoy caring and loving these crazy kids. 


[He was born and always will be a Cardinal fan. Already has a great arm.]

[Even our rainy days are good days]

[They hold hands on their own. 
I love teaching them to be friends and to love]









Psalm 37:4 
Take delight in the Lord, 
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute. You are amazing. Oh, and though I don't usually watch baseball, Vincent has taken to LOVE the cardinals. He made my buy him a shirt the other day. And now he wants the Cardinals pillow pet. I'm not sure he really gets the baseball aspect of it so much as Fredbird, but hey, you made me think of it with that cute little man you just wrote about. Vincent throws like a girl... ;) But I still love him.

    ReplyDelete