Photobucket

Friday, January 4, 2013

Being Intentional

I really, really, like my sleep. And I know that when kids come along, I will still really like it. I just won't have the choice if I get it, much less when. It might get ugly.
 
In the first four days of the new year, I've  managed to roll out of bed before 9:30. I know, I know...that's NOT early at all. But for me it is. I'm used to 11, 12, some days 1 P.M. Go ahead and judge, make jokes. Trust me, you will not be the first or probably the last. Call me lazy, I already beat you to it.
 
I don't have a job. I'm not in school. I rarely have to cook dinner because we eat with Brandon's family the majority of the time. Brandon works out four days a week and is usually gone four hours in the morning. That leaves me with cleaning and laundry duties as well as caring for our pup and playing with him throughout the day.
 
I also have time to sew new projects I've been eyeing. Or scour the internet/waste time on my phone. Then I stay up really late. I go to bed after Brandon has been out for a few hours and repeat again.
 
I often wake with a headache that I know is from too much sleep. It has wore on me and I am tired (pun intended) of my lazy habits.
 
Don't get me wrong. It's not that I didn't do things that needed to be done around the house. I keep it clean, did the dishes, laundry, and grocery shopped/ran errands. I just never went above and beyond to make my life, or my husbands easier. I didn't make sure that we were on the same page maximizing our time together this off season. Here it is almost gone. Enter major wife guilt. It's a real thing and it sucks. I'm not bringing that with me into the new year.
 
So why wait to change my bad habit for our new adventure. I don't want my time now or in Japan to be spent catching up on Zzz's. I have stock piled so many the last few months I should be good to go. We have only a few more weeks here at home together and I want to enjoy it as much as possible. I can't do that when my head is pounding and I feel physically ill. I surely can't do that when I get up after half the day is already gone.
 
In only four days I feel like I have made huge strides in fixing this terrible habit I created. I have cooked a little extra, slipped in a few workouts and was showered and ready before he even came home from his workout. Seriously a big deal. Then we could ride together for his eye doctor appointment while I grocery shopped.

 
I discovered the key is to be intentional with my time. I know that I have the power to change and I'm going to do just that, and I'll let you know how it continues to go. Hopefully great because I feel happier and healthier already.
 
Lauren
 

1 comment:

  1. Love this. It's so easy to get into those habits so I'm proud of you for already starting to break them! I'm so excited for you guys, in your last couple weeks here but especially for your time in Japan!

    ReplyDelete