Photobucket

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Name Game

When you were born you were given a name. Mine is Lauren.

name; noun: A word or set of words by which a person, animal, place, or thing is known, addressed, or referred to.

Two weeks ago while I was at the pool in Florida there was a mom with her two kids, one a swimming toddler, Colden, the other a baby. Another family showed up with two sons. They asked each other their names. Then the little boy, Colden, kept saying, "hey guy." The mom corrected him to call the other little boys by name.

A fellow blogger recently wrote about her name Ruthie, not Ruth, and how frustrating it is when people get it wrong. 

At dinner in Florida while Brandon's family was there we went to eat at Applebee's. The waitress introduced herself, with name, and for the rest of the dinner, I addressed her by that name. When she walked away from the table Brandon's sister asked if I knew her. I had only known her since we sat at the table. I asked her why? In which she replied, you keep calling her by her name, I thought you knew her. 

Over a year ago, Brandon and I attended our friends wedding. At the reception the band leader was calling for the bride for different things. KATIE. KATIE. I kept telling BD they were calling her the wrong name. Finally someone corrected her. It wasn't me just for the record.

This post was prompted by a piece of mail I received this week from a business who provided me a service that I paid for.  

It read, 


Who in the world is Lindsey???

How do you think that made me feel? I understand mistakes are made and I'm a pretty forgiving person. I'm not here to rip on that person's mistake. I just want to tell you that when you use a person's name, and use it correctly, it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

At Jo Anns or Hobby Lobby, I always try to tell my cashier, "Thank you [insert name here]. Have a great day." I see them often, I should get to know them. One time I was even asked how my previous project turned out. It made my day. Engage in relationships with people in your everyday life, start by using their name. You never know what someone else is going through!

I worked at a bank as a teller for almost three years. The customers I remembered are the ones who used my name, okay and the one who thought I was pregnant, but that's a story for another day. 

Do you see what I'm saying...  

People have names for a reason. See if you can make someones day at least once this week by using their name. 


2 comments:

  1. There are people who have known my husband his entire life and spell his name, John... But it's actually Jon - short for Jonathan. I don't think it bothers him really, but it bothers me, a lot. His dad's name is John, and his is Jon (or Jonathan, whichever). I understand new friends and strangers spelling it wrong, but for whatever reason it totally irks me to see people he has known for decades, spell it wrong. I guess because I would be offended. Especially when they've been corrected before.

    I know the spelling thing is a different story altogether, but it just reminded me of that... and if a mispelling can have that kind of effect, imagine calling someone the wrong name, or not by name at all. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe this is a cute post!! And yep....I HATE getting called Ruth. Dude my name is Ruthie!! And when a waiter/waitress introduces themselves with their name, I call them by that! Some people think its rude but I think people love hearing their own names right? And that would piss me off getting a piece of mail from a business that you PAY with the wrong name!

    ReplyDelete