Thursday, June 30, 2011

Big Dreams. Big Leagues

Let me just catch my breath for two seconds. Got it. Now.. lets see where to even begin this post. I was in Memphis the last time I caught up with you and today as of about, enough-time-to-unpack-my-car ago, I am back at my house in MO.

48 Hours ago I set off on what I thought was going to be a great five day visit with the future hubs. I made it there safely and he returned back to his apartment at four o'clock in the morning. He grabbed a quick four hour nap before we hit the road at 8:45 en route to Montgomery, AL to visit his Granddad in the hospital. He had surgery Monday and we knew with Brandon's off day on Wednesday we would drive down for the day. We needed to be at the hospital by two for special visiting hours minutes. Law enforcement was out in full force leaving us no chance but to obey the limit. We arrived about 2:07 thinking we already missed half of the twenty minutes we would be allowed to visit. Things working in our favor (only the beginning) they were running late and we were allotted the FULL twenty minutes. He is doing great and got moved out of critical care as of this morning! Yahoo. As for us, we had four hours to kill until we could visit again, for twenty minutes, at six o'clock that evening. 

We were sitting in the waiting room (around 2:30) debating how to spend our time and Brandon's phone rings. I had assumed it was pretty important by his posture, tone of voice, and responses of, "Yes, Sir" and "No,Sir."  Then I began to listen to other end of the call....

Coach - Hey, Brandon, do you think you can come by the field for a couple minutes.

Brandon - No Sir... I am actually in Alabama right now. I drove down for the day to visit my Granddad in the hospital.

Coach - Ok, alright..... pause.....well..... I guess I just have to give you the news over the phone then. Congrats man! You're going to the big leagues!

I could write in what I thought the two of them said after that but it would be lies. It was something about catching a flight and... yeah like I said I'm not quite sure. Tears of joy streamed down my face.

Brandon got to go back in and tell his Papa the exciting news. I will never, ever forget that moment the rest of my life. It truly was priceless. 

So there we were in Alabama. And there his flight was waiting for him in Memphis. We were left with no choice but to jump back in the car and head back. We may have pulled over to throw up because we could not actually believe what happened. Really? No, not really but we both thought about it. We stopped by his parents house to share the great news. They thought he was joking. Then we met up with his sister so he could tell her and by five o'clock we were back on the road heading north to Memphis. 

We made calls. Lots and lots of calls. We got text messages. Lots and lots of text messages. We answered each question the same, "We don't know yet." "We only know what time his flight leaves." "Thank you we are excited too!" We laughed A LOT! We I may have acted delirious and goofy. I cried more tears of joy. He grinned a lot. I sneaked several glances over at him in the rear view mirror to see if his eyes could tell his feelings. The ride seemed like it took forever. 

We made a quick detour by the field to get all his equipment and headed to the apartment to pack up. His bags were still packed from his previous road trip full with dirty laundry. His roommate who has been to STL gave him some advice, none of which I listened to. I was so in shock seeing these men so excited over their boyhood dreams coming true. It was awesome and I am so glad I was there. 

We hit the sack around one. I passed out from the excitement. I like to think Brandon slept but I never thought to ask him this morning. Alarms sounded at 6:15 sharp to what will probably be another one of Brandon's most memorable days of his life. We packed the car, again, and we were off the the airport. It was a silent ride. A good silent. He knew I was beyond excited for him. I knew he was nervous. I felt like a mom taking their kid to kindergarten for the very first time. I was so proud of what he has already done, excited for what was to come, and not ready to leave him just yet.  Instead of asking for a "First Day in the Bigs" cheesy pose and smile pic... I snapped this shot as he walked off into what is going to be a very blessed future in the Big Leagues. 

To be continued...

Colossians 3:23 
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.


  1. That's greatttt!!!! Very exciting news!! Give GOD the glory! :)

  2. So incredibly excited for both of you! amazing.

  3. I've never read this before!!!! I love this story so much :) I actually got sorta choked up when he found out in the hospital and got to tell his grandpa?! Gosh, that is amazing. That's a story I'm sure your kid will hear a million times. Can't wait to see what God has planned for the two of you. Hoping for more of the big leagues! Although, I am pretty partial to you guys coming to Memphis ;) haha but I guess everything happens for a reason.

  4. Lauren, it's great to see the exciting things happening. Your dad is very proud and so is everyone back home. Best Wishes from one of your old teachers. (Ross Malone)